'

[CEUD-ICT] Motor skills and tablets

Eamon Mag Uidhir eamon at maguidhir.com
Thu Oct 17 12:06:52 IST 2013

I'll always chase the U.D. solution first, before even considering
"apartheid" separate and partial solutions for different kinds of people.

It's my belief there should not be any hardware platforms or operating
systems still being produced in 2013 that do not welcome all comers
without them having to first shell out five thousand dollars on an
add-on.  [ web reference
http://www.fastcompany.com/3017855/fast-feed/eye-controlled-tablets-for-the-severely-disabled-are-here
] But why is this eye-tracking facility, which seems from the video to
work well enough, not native to the Windows 8 tablet experience rather
than available only as a costly add-on? I would also insist Jobs should
never have launched the iPad until it was ready for everybody.

I suspect all I am going to be able to achieve in this is to make the
content entirely predictable by ensuring web coding standards
conformance and WCAG 2.0 implementation. I would have liked to take the
outreach to A.T. further at the coding level.

Eamon