'

[CEUD-ICT] Best practice for accessible video content (web-based)

Alan M. Dalton AMDalton at nda.ie
Wed Nov 13 18:40:51 GMT 2013

Barry, Eoin,

We summarised WCAG’s audio and video guidelines, and related guidelines, to
make them a bit easier to understand:
http://accessibility.ie/MakeYourWebsitesMoreAccessible/#MakingAudioAndVideoInformationAccessible .

We use YouTube to publish videos from our conferences, like so:
https://YouTube.com/watch?v=t0OU76LoAus . During filming, we ask the camera
operator to leave enough space at the bottom of the screen for captions to
be added. The captions should not obscure anybody’s face on the screen and
they should not obscure any important information on the screen. Also, we
ask the camera operator to make sure that the presenter’s face is in focus.
If the presenter refers to information on the slides, the camera operator
should capture that information as well. We get captions for the videos in
a plain text file, in either .sbv format or .srt formats. Whoever we
contract to provide real-time captioning for the conference can usually
provide those caption files for us. We upload the video to our YouTube
channel, along with the caption file. We disable the “machine translated”
caption track if it exists. We add a title for the video, and a short
paragraph with details about the video, including this line: “If you have
any accessibility issues with this video, please contact
accessofficer at nda.ie”.

We looked into various other methods of publishing accessible videos,
including HTML5, Vimeo, and so on, but this is the most accessible and
practical solution that we can find.

Regards,
Alan.

Alan Dalton