'

[CEUD-ICT] Best practice for accessible video content (web-based)

Barry McMullin barry.mcmullin at dcu.ie
Wed Nov 13 19:57:58 GMT 2013

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Alan M. Dalton wrote:

> We summarised WCAG’s audio and video guidelines, and related guidelines, to
> make them a bit easier to understand: ...

Thanks Alan -

That's some very helpful, practical advice that is of very wide
applicability. Obviously one will eventually still encounter
limitations as the accessibility challenge (or aspiration) is set
progressively higher. So if you want to provide audio description
then (as far as I know) that can't be simply integrated in a
single youtube version; but the straight forward workaround is to
upload two alternative versions, one with and one without. A
transcript can obviously be provided outside of youtube
altogether and cross-linked; but if one wants to
integrate/synchronise the transcript with the time based media
(e.g., with visual highlighting) then again I don't think that
can be done on the youtube platform. So, in pointing at the
original video link:

<http://www.washington.edu/doit/Video/index.php?vid=55&t=1>

I was deliberating highlighting it as an example that tries to
push to the limits of accessible design. In particular it does
integrate the audio description control into the player, and it
does provide for synchronisation between transcript and audio
track. It does not yet demonstrate intergration of a sign
language track (they mention this as something they are looking
at, but there is no indication of when they will have anything to
demo). They do also provide youtube versions (with and without
audio description); and incidentally, I suspect these are
probably a better choice (compared to the "bespoke" player) for
access from mobile devices (android, iOS etc.). But in any case,
that's why I think it is a good example if someone is
asking for the standard to aspire to; but I absolutely agree that
a great deal can still be done be done while using comparatively
less sophisticated technical approaches.

Best wishes - Barry.

--
Professor Barry McMullin,
Executive Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Computing

Disclaimer Text Required by my Employer:

"This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and are intended solely for use by the addressee. Any
unauthorised dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this email in error please notify the sender and delete
the message. Any views or opinions presented in this email may
solely be the views of the author and cannot be relied upon as
being those of Dublin City University. E-mail communications such
as this cannot be guaranteed to be virus free, timely, secure or
error free and Dublin City University do not accept liability for
any such matters or their consequences. Please consider the
environment before printing this Email."
--

*Email Disclaimer"This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for use by the addressee. Any unauthorised dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message. Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail may solely be the views of the author and cannot be relied upon as being those of Dublin City University. E-mail communications such as this cannot be guaranteed to be virus-free, timely, secure or error-free and Dublin City University does not accept liability for any such matters or their consequences. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail."Séanadh Ríomhphoist"Tá an ríomhphost seo agus aon chomhad a sheoltar leis faoi rún agus is lena úsáid ag an seolaí agus sin amháin é. Tá cosc iomlán ar scaipeadh, dháileadh nó chóipeáil neamhúdaraithe ar an teachtaireacht seo agus ar aon cheangaltán atá ag dul leis. Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad cuir sin in iúl le do thoil don seoltóir agus scrios an teachtaireacht. D’fhéadfadh sé gurb iad tuairimí an údair agus sin amháin atá in aon tuairimí no dearcthaí atá curtha i láthair sa ríomhphost seo agus níor chóir glacadh leo mar thuairimí nó dhearcthaí Ollscoil Chathair Bhaile Átha Cliath. Ní ghlactar leis go bhfuil cumarsáid ríomhphoist den sórt seo saor ó víreas, in am, slán, nó saor ó earráid agus ní ghlacann Ollscoil Chathair Bhaile Átha Cliath le dliteanas in aon chás den sórt sin ná as aon iarmhairt a d’eascródh astu. Cuimhnigh ar an timpeallacht le do thoil sula gcuireann tú an ríomhphost seo i gcló."*