'

[CEUD-ICT] Best practice for accessible video content (web-based)

Eamon Mag Uidhir eamon at maguidhir.com
Thu Nov 14 12:01:39 GMT 2013

The YouTube transcript methodoloby is not exactly ideal. In fact it's
pretty crap.

The transcript text doesn't appear to be
selectable/savable/printable/reusable in other modalities. It is simply
an on-the-fly concatenation of the screen captions, each on its discrete
line, with the timestamp in one div and the caption text in another div.
It isn't combined with the onscreen text or with any synchronised
description of what's on screen during the movie, beyond inserting the
timeline milestones at the start of each line.

In my view a transcript
should be a fully working discrete mode for accessing the totality of
the audiovisual experience. It should offer an aggregation of the
content output to the various senses, or an alternative text rendition,
so anyone plus or minus any of those senses' inputs can get the whole
story, via whaterver A.T. they need to operate.

In the sample video
I'm accessing on YouTube [ http://youtu.be/LZy_WviXw2w [1] ] there is no
alternative text or audio description provided, beyond the token audio
description caption "[music]" at the beginning. The video, which was
uploaded by H.R.S.A. (the US Health Resources and Service Administration
), is actually concerned with Section 508 awareness so you'd expect they
would make an effort. Instead it demonstrates the inadequacy of Google's
approach and the sloppiness of the H.R.S.A. analysis of acceptable
levels of accessibility.

Am I being too harsh?

Eamon

wrote:

>> Can you point me to an example where that works?
>
> Sorry
Shane, I've spotted the transcript button now (for anyone
> else
similarly confounded, the button is "hidden in plain sight"
> in the bar
with the "like" and "dislike" buttons; i.e., not
> within the player
controls or in the caption options where I was
> studiously looking for
it. Live and learn!)

> Best regards - Barry.
>
> --
> Professor
Barry McMullin,
> Executive Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Computing

Dublin City University
http://www.eeng.dcu.ie/~mcmullin/
> skype: barrymcmullin-dcu.ie
> room:
L116

Disclaimer Text Required by my Employer:

> "This email and any files
transmitted with it are confidential
> and are intended solely for use
by the addressee. Any
> unauthorised dissemination, distribution or
copying of this
> message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If
you have
> received this email in error please notify the sender and
delete
> the message. Any views or opinions presented in this email
may
> solely be the views of the author and cannot be relied upon as

being those of Dublin City University. E-mail communications such
> as
this cannot be guaranteed to be virus free, timely, secure or
> error
free and Dublin City University do not accept liability for
> any such
matters or their consequences. Please consider the
> environment before
printing this Email."

> -- *Email Disclaimer"This e-mail and any
files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for
use by the addressee. Any unauthorised dissemination, distribution or
copying of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and
delete the message. Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail may
solely be the views of the author and cannot be relied upon as being
those of Dublin City University. E-mail communications such as this
cannot be guaranteed to be virus-free, timely, secure or error-free and
Dublin City University does not accept liability for any such matters or
their consequences. Please consider the environment before printing this
e-mail."Séanadh Ríomhphoist"Tá an ríomhphost seo agus aon chomhad a
sheoltar leis faoi rún agus is lena úsáid ag an seolaí agus sin amháin
é. Tá cosc iomlán ar scaipeadh, dháileadh nó chóipeáil neamhúdaraithe ar
an teachtaireacht seo agus ar aon cheangaltán atá ag dul leis. Má tá an
ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad cuir sin in iúl le do thoil don
seoltóir agus scrios an teachtaireacht. D'fhéadfadh sé gurb iad tuairimí
an údair agus sin amháin atá in aon tuairimí no dearcthaí atá curtha i
láthair sa ríomhphost seo agus níor chóir glacadh leo mar thuairimí nó
dhearcthaí Ollscoil Chathair Bhaile Átha Cliath. Ní ghlactar leis go
bhfuil cumarsáid ríomhphoist den sórt seo saor ó víreas, in am, slán, nó
saor ó earráid agus ní ghlacann Ollscoil Chathair Bhaile Átha Cliath le
dliteanas in aon chás den sórt sin ná as aon iarmhairt a d'eascródh
astu. Cuimhnigh ar an timpeallacht le do thoil sula gcuireann tú an

Links:
------
[1] http://youtu.be/LZy_WviXw2w