'

[CEUD-ICT] Best practice for accessible video content (web-based)

Alan M. Dalton AMDalton at nda.ie
Thu Nov 14 16:19:13 GMT 2013

Hi Barry,

I’m a huge fan of less sophisticated technical approaches!

For example, sometimes the best—and cheapest—solution for audio description
is to adapt the script to include the important visual information. For
example, instead of creating a video of someone saying, “I’m delighted with
my new position” while the text “Roy Keane, Republic of Ireland assistant
manager” appears on screen to tell the audience who he is, you could create
a video that shows someone else saying, “I’m here with Roy Keane, assistant
manager of the Republic of Ireland” and then show Roy Keane saying, “I’m
delighted with my new position”. Obviously that first example will need
audio description; that second example won’t.

I can think of three accessible media players, but they might not be in the
same league as the University of Washington’s player:
- Nomensa have made their Accessible Media Player available at
https://github.com/nomensa/Accessible-Media-Player . They’ve written about
it at
http://www.nomensa.com/services/accessibility-and-inclusive-design/accessible-media-player
 .
- The UK’s Office for Disability Issues had an accessible media player, as
Mark mentioned a few years ago:
http://list.universaldesign.ie/pipermail/ceud-ict/2011/002290.html . It was
impressive and fully-featured, but I can’t find it now:
http://odi.dwp.gov.uk.master.com/texis/master/search/?q=accessible+media
+player .
- The UK’s Government Digital Service have an accessible wrapper for
embedding YouTube videos in webpages. Here’s an example:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/you-can-t-turn-back-time-will-you-promise-to-keep-your-family-safe .
 That’s useful because the standard YouTube embedding leads to a keyboard
trap:
http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/keyboard-operation-trapping.html
— but the Government Digital Service one doesn’t.

Regards,
Alan.

Alan Dalton
- Accessibility Development Advisor http://Accessibility.ie
- Access Officer http://t9.ie/NdaAccessOfficer

National Disability Authority http://www.NDA.ie
25 Clyde Road, Dublin 4, Ireland http://Goo.Gl/maps/gOjcj

“Procurement and Accessibility” (14 minutes):
https://YouTube.com/watch?v=t0OU76LoAus