[CEUD-ICT] Seems like the UN CRPD enters into force on April 19?

Gerry Ellis gerry.ellis at feelthebenefit.com
Wed Apr 18 22:08:49 IST 2018

Hi,

Article 45 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
(CRPD) reads:
Article 45 - Entry into force
1. The present Convention shall enter into force on the thirtieth day after
the deposit of the twentieth instrument of ratification or accession.
2. For each State or regional integration organization ratifying, formally
confirming or acceding to the present Convention after the deposit of the
twentieth such instrument, the Convention shall enter into force on the
thirtieth day after the deposit of its own such instrument.

177 States Parties have ratified, so the threshold of 20 has long since been
passed.

The list of States Parties that have ratified and the date that they
deposited their ratification is found at:
https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetails.aspx?src=TREATY&mtdsg_no=IV-15&cha
pter=4&clang=_en

Ireland signed the Convention on March 30, 2007. Ireland deposited its
ratification instrument on March 20, 2018. 30 days later is tomorrow
(Thursday, April 19, 2018.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this indicates to me that the UN CRPD enters
into force in ireland tomorrow.

Pop the champaigne corks!

Take care,

Gerry Ellis